RE: Protocol Action: 'Updating References to the IETF FTP Service' to Proposed Standard (draft-danyliw-replace-ftp-pointers-06.txt)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sat, 23 October 2021 01:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 21:01:39 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
cc: draft-danyliw-replace-ftp-pointers@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Protocol Action: 'Updating References to the IETF FTP Service' to Proposed Standard (draft-danyliw-replace-ftp-pointers-06.txt)

Roman,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Given that the answer is the one from the referenced email
transaction (for the benefit of others,

	"The reasoning that motivated this document being PS was
	that it was updating other PS documents.  No more nuance
	than that."  )

I am really happy about that -- it is, fwiw, the conclusion I
would have reached and the argument I would have made.  I think
a sentence to that effect somewhere in the document (or at least
the datatracker) would have been helpful.  The current Abstract
and Introduction effectively make the point that no technical
changes are involved, but that is not explicit and not bound to
the idea of a standards track document.  However, given that the
IESG has already processed the document, I'm not convinced that
would be worth the trouble now to make that sort of change.

_However_, I do expect the IESG to be consistent.  While it
probably is not worth the trouble to go back and identify and
reclassify earlier examples, I assume we will not see documents
that make substantive technical modifications to, or alter the
requirements of, standards track Technical Specifications
published as BCPs in the future.

thanks again,
   john

--On Friday, October 22, 2021 23:27 +0000 Roman Danyliw