Re: Revised proposed IETF LLC Community Engagement Policy

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sun, 18 October 2020 22:40 UTC

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:40:35 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
cc: IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Revised proposed IETF LLC Community Engagement Policy

Jay,

I think this, and other changes you have made, are great
improvements, so thank you.  Two additional small suggestions:

(1) The text you quote below is getting fairly close to writing
in a language known as "lawyer" rather than "English".  It may
not be possible to do so given the particular situation and the
needs of the LLC, but it would be good if LLC documents stuck to
English to the extent possible.

(2) For any of the (we hope) unusual cases such as this type of
designation, especially those that would prevent volunteer
participation in the IETF's technical work, it would increase
trust and improve the working relationship between the IETF
participant community and the LLC if the fact that the
restriction was being applied and the reasons for it were made
public on IETF-announce or this list, not only recorded in LLC
minutes or in the details of an RFP or a contract.

thanks,
    john

--On Monday, October 19, 2020 11:28 +1300 Jay Daley