Re: Scope for self-destructing email?

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 21 August 2017 17:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:02:58 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, vaibhav singh <vaibhavsinghacads@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Scope for self-destructing email?

John,

I did like to use a couple of those nice email functions driven
by special headers. IMHO the main reason why those never catched on
is the absence of easy ways for users to figure out how much their
software (MTU/MUA) sucks.

One thing IMHO that would help are mechanisms to provide users with
an easy ability to learn what their software is claiming to support,
and what's missing. User experience should be some web-page that
explains this to the user in easy terms and ideally even suggests
to create RFE emails to the vendors. The question would then be what
standards APIs one would need to enable interested third parties
to generate such web pages (including IETF).

Eg: Have some yang model/API into MTU/MUA that declares the features
supported, maybe also some options to exercise probes/tests and provide
authentication to do this (eg: via the usual "i am foo@bar.example.com
because i can show some token received in email to that address").

Admittedly, i've been annoyed for 25 years that IETF unlike ISO is not
doing PICS, so maybe this is a more pragmatic approach to tackle
that gap. And one that would be more user friendly, dynamic and maybe
even more reliable (depending on how much actual probing instead of
just declaration you would be able to do via the API).

Toerless

--
---
tte@cs.fau.de