Re: [IETFMIBS] Extending InetAddress(Type) for BGP Multicast VPNs

Jeff Haas <jhaas@juniper.net> Tue, 10 January 2012 00:09 UTC

From: Jeff Haas <jhaas@juniper.net>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:05:55 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ietfmibs@ietf.org" <ietfmibs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IETFMIBS] Extending InetAddress(Type) for BGP Multicast VPNs

Juergen,

On Jan 9, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> I have no clue what change you think is needed. Please excuse my
> ignorance of BGP Multicast VPNs - but for me it is easier to
> understand what you propose to change if there is a more concrete
> description of the change you envision.

Reference:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-08

BGP MVPN routes are basically 7 types of routing information distributed in BGP as prefixes.  Some of these routes are effectively fixed length but that's a minor detail.  Please refer to section 4 for the different route formats to avoid significant copy and paste.

My proposal is that 7 code points are allocated for MVPN routes for InetAddressType for these 7 types of information.  Textual conventions would be defined to cover each of the appropriate types.

One small annoyance is that the DISPLAY-HINT syntax isn't quite flexible enough to cover the variable-length types in a fully pleasing format.  There's not much we can do about that.

If this proposal seems to have merit and would be likely to get traction, we'll submit some text for the MIB.

-- Jeff