Re: encapsulation / conversion bounce (Re: [EAI] Proposal for decision, approach for downgrading in UTF8SMTP)

Kari Hurtta <hurtta+ietf@siilo.fmi.fi> Wed, 11 October 2006 07:34 UTC

Subject: Re: encapsulation / conversion bounce (Re: [EAI] Proposal for decision, approach for downgrading in UTF8SMTP)
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:34:09 +0300
From: Kari Hurtta <hurtta+ietf@siilo.fmi.fi>
Cc: ima@ietf.org, Kari Hurtta <hurtta+gmane@siilo.fmi.fi>

>>> Harald Alvestrand
> Kari,
>
> please be specific - I can't tell what you are thinking about.
>
> Please use the language from draft-ietf-eai-scenarios, and describe a
> specific scenario in which you think that "encapsulation strategy" may
> succeed, while "conversion strategy" requires a bounce, and explain why.
>
> Note: Encapsulation by the sender will be allowed as soon as someone
> delivers on the promise to write up a draft on what the MIME part for an
> encapsulation should look like - but this isn't in the critical path of
> this effort....
>
>                                Harald

At least now it look that "conversion strategy" requires knowledge
about syntax of header fields.

Problem seems to be that converting MTA is required to know all
possible standards which define syntax of mail header fields.

Of course that does not prevent conversion of RFC 2822 header fields
or any other standard header fields, when it is given list of standards,
which syntax must be supported on conversion.

Encapsulation  can be done without without knowledge. Encapsulation
(of unknown header field) can be either to new header field or to new
MIME part.

There may be some other cases also. These was what I was asking.
I do not know what are these cases. I was asking about that.

( Also conversion may be impossible if there is allowed UTF-8
  on some places, to where conversion is not possible. For
  example mime-encoded-words or some other currently existing
  standard does not define ascii compatible encoding. If
  new encoding is defined for missing parts, it is equivalent
  of encapsulation. )

I try look draft-ietf-eai-scenarios.

/ Kari Hurtta