(fwd) [Fwd: Communciator 4.02 Imap EXPUNGE problem]

ccyflai@uxmail.ust.hk Sun, 24 August 1997 13:03 UTC

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 20:58:04 +0800
Sender: IMAP-owner@u.washington.edu
From: ccyflai@uxmail.ust.hk
MMDF-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at ietf.org
To: imap@cac.washington.edu
Subject: (fwd) [Fwd: Communciator 4.02 Imap EXPUNGE problem]

It can be easily reproduced with Communicator 4.02 and with "Moved
deleted messages into Trash" option off.   Whenever I marked delete with
some messages and tried to expunge (Compress Folders in your
terminology), it found the Communicator will initiate another IMAP
connection to server and FETCH the next message.  While the current one
is sending the EXPUNGE command and waiting for reply.  Two IMAP daemons
contended for the same folder and lead one of them being crashed, the
other one become readonly mode.  Actually, the new connection will be
crashed and return the error messages "IMAP toolkit crash: Lock when
already lock".  I have tried the latest version of UW imapd and found it
will crash the old connection instead and retain the new connection.
So,  I think it may be implementation dependent, but I'm sure that they
all don't support multiple imapd access on the same folder which use
mbox format.

If you check with others IMAP clients implementation such as PINE or SUN
roam, they all make multiple IMAP connections to server but never SELECT
the same folder at the same time.  So, no access conflict is occurred
and lived peace with each other.

I pretty much sure this problem on 4.02 and also in prior to it.  I put
the sniffer in between the server and client and observed the above
phenomenon.  It's weird you haven't experienced this problem under
extensive test.  It can be easily reproduced either on Win95 or UNIX
client.  John, could you tell us your testing environment and let us
compare?  Or can you confirm whether Communicator wrote codes to make
seperate IMAP connection to server for same folder?  If that's the case,
it is the stem of problem.

Rgds,
Ken Lai

--------------095C2115F9297519B6993B30--