Re: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Wed, 30 May 2012 23:48 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:48:10 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>, "internet-drafts@ietf.org" <internet-drafts@ietf.org>, "i-d-announce@ietf.org" <i-d-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt

Hi Joe,

The document does propose to update RFC1122, and looking
more closely at RFC1122, Section 3.3.2 it says:

  "There MUST be a reassembly timeout.  The reassembly timeout
   value SHOULD be a fixed value, not set from the remaining TTL.
   It is recommended that the value lie between 60 seconds and 120
   seconds.  If this timeout expires, the partially-reassembled
   datagram MUST be discarded and an ICMP Time Exceeded message
   sent to the source host (if fragment zero has been received)."

Based on the IPv6 specification of 60 seconds, and based on
23 years of operational experience since the publication of
RFC1122, wouldn't it be reasonable for this draft to update
RFC1122 by saying that the timeout value must be 60 seconds?

> > Asked another way, can we use this document to specify a
> > reassembly timeout value that IPv4 nodes must observe?
>
> This document relaxes requirements; I suspect that anything that
> constrains requirements for IPv4 is unlikely to move forward.

Also, in the document's introduction, it says:

  "In IPv4, the Identification (ID) field is a 16-bit value that is
  unique for every datagram for a given source address, destination
  address, and protocol, such that it does not repeat within the
  Maximum Segment Lifetime (MSL) [RFC791][RFC1122]."

Isn't the correct reference for MSL actually RFC793?

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com