Re: [Int-area] ILA and int-area

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Sat, 13 May 2017 18:06 UTC

To: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
Cc: Petr Lapukhov <petr@fb.com>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 14:03:10 -0400
Subject: Re: [Int-area] ILA and int-area

It appears to me that there are contexts in which it is likely that ILA
is useful.

Using the example of the progression of LISP, I have concern with the
current approach of NOT spelling out how and where it would be used.
LISP started out as experimental in significant part because it was not
clear where it would be useful.  We re now progressing it to PS with a
clear context.  And that context is NOT Internet-wide deployment for
Internet scaling.  Because that deployment problem is REALLY challenging.

As such, if ILA wants to either be developed for the data center context
or be developed as an interesting experiment across a range of potential
uses, I can not object.

I do have problems moving it forward towards standards track for some
unspecified but general use in its current form.  The dependence of the
data plane protocol on the information distribution is so strong that I
do not see how the general case can be treated.

Yours,
Joel