Re: [Int-area] Side meeting follow-up: What exact features do we want from the Internet? minmax

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 09 December 2021 10:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 11:55:03 +0100
To: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Side meeting follow-up: What exact features do we want from the Internet? minmax

Le 08/12/2021 à 18:09, Templin (US), Fred L a écrit :
> Sorry Alex, I spoke imprecisely. In ATM, there is one fixed cell size
> but for heterogeneous Internetworks the 576 determines only a lower
> bound for cell sizes - not an upper bound. In ATM the fixed cell size
> is 53 octets (5 octets header; 48 octets payload), but for
> heterogeneous Internetworks we need to leave a lot of extra room for
> headers. So we define a "minimum Maximum Payload Size (minMPS)" of
> 400 octets. That leaves a generous 176 octets for encapsulation
> headers, which will most often not be fully consumed due to header
> compression.

MPS - Maximum Payload Size - is a new term in IP?

minMPS sounds not perfect.  If the goal is to have a minimum size, then
it should be minPS.

I am not nitpicking.

I am just in search for a term that designates the minimal IP packet.
This term is useful on links for IoT on which IP runs.  For that, the
term 'MTU' does not apply because 'M' means maximum.  The term 'minimum
MTU' does not apply either, because MTU itself is a characteristic of
expressing an upper extreme of a characteristic of a link and not of the
packet.  It is not because the minimal MTU of IPv6 is 1280 - so to speak
- that one cant transmit 321bit-sized packets on IPv6.

If someone looks at new features for the new Internet and talks about
jumbograms and infinite packet sizes: that's the circuit!

Comparably, a new feature for the new Internet could be minimal sized
but very numerous packets.  321bit-sized IPv6 packets on links at 10
petabit/s is for the new Internet.

Or maybe the new Internet holds for a 'continuum' between these two:
from infinitely large packets to infitinely small packets.

In an infinitely-large packet Internet the energy consumption would be
almost zero because we start measuring but we never end, whereas with
smallest packets it would be much higher.

Alex