[Int-area] draft-andersdotter (was RE: WG adoption call: Availability of Information in Criminal Investigations Involving Large-Scale IP Address Sharing Technologies

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 23 April 2018 08:38 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Amelia Andersdotter <amelia@article19.org>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
CC: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 08:38:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.6]
Subject: [Int-area] draft-andersdotter (was RE: WG adoption call: Availability of Information in Criminal Investigations Involving Large-Scale IP Address Sharing Technologies

Dear Amelia,

Some comments about the main recommendations in draft-andersdotter:

      SHOULD only store entire incoming IP addresses for as long as is
      necessary to provide the specific service requested by the user.

Med: This is implementation and deployment-specific. Not sure we can mandate a server how to service users.

      SHOULD keep only the first two octets (of an IPv4 address) or the
      first three octets (of an IPv6 address) with remaining octets set
      to zero, when logging.

Med: A server can decide to follow this reco, but it will be difficult for the owner of the server to claim an abuse and help identifying responsibilities.

Please note that RFC6302 ** does not recommend to log IP addresses** :.

   "It is RECOMMENDED as best current practice that Internet-facing
   servers logging incoming IP addresses from inbound IP traffic also
   log "

which means ** IF ** a server logs source IP address, then it has to log also the source port.

      SHOULD NOT store logs of incoming IP addresses from inbound
      traffic for longer than three days.

Med: It is out of the scope of the IETF to define the duration of logs. This is country-specific.

      SHOULD NOT log unnecessary identifiers, such as source port
      number, time stamps, transport protocol numbers or destination
      port numbers.

Med: Not sure to understand this one. "unnecessary identifiers" is not clear. I prefer the current language in 6302 which identifies the minimum set of information.

      SHOULD ensure adequate log access control, with suitable
      mechanisms for keeping track of which entity accesses logged
      identifiers, for what reason and at what time.

Med: I hear you, but this is out of scope of the IETF. Access rights to retention data is well known and is not altered by the IETF specification.

Cheers,
Med