Re: [Int-area] draft-andersdotter (was RE: WG adoption call: Availability of Information in Criminal Investigations Involving Large-Scale IP Address Sharing Technologies

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 24 April 2018 05:25 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Amelia Andersdotter <amelia@article19.org>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
CC: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 05:25:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.6]
Subject: Re: [Int-area] draft-andersdotter (was RE: WG adoption call: Availability of Information in Criminal Investigations Involving Large-Scale IP Address Sharing Technologies

Dear Amelia,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] It is a not a problem with the language of the reco, but its implementation. The IETF cannot dictate which information is required to provide a service and whether an IP address is needed. This is really implementation-specific.

> >       SHOULD keep only the first two octets (of an IPv4 address) or the
> >       first three octets (of an IPv6 address) with remaining octets set
> >       to zero, when logging.
> >
> > Med: A server can decide to follow this reco, but it will be difficult for
> the owner of the server to claim an abuse and help identifying
> responsibilities.
>
> The recommendation is partially inspired by web analytics
> recommendations for Piwik/Matomo installations by French DPA CNIL, but
> of course also enjoys support from the data minimization strategies
> advanced in RFC6973.

[Med] I don't have a problem with the general intent of your text, my concern is that you link those explicitly with RFC6302 which is misleading. RFC6302 has a very clear focus: address sharing.

> > Please note that RFC6302 ** does not recommend to log IP addresses** :.
> >
> >    "It is RECOMMENDED as best current practice that Internet-facing
> >    servers logging incoming IP addresses from inbound IP traffic also
> >    log "
> >
> > which means ** IF ** a server logs source IP address, then it has to log
> also the source port.
>
> Indeed, my proposal is to recommend that servers do not log IP addresses
> other than to the extent recommended. If they don't log IP addresses at
> all, they would be following the recommendations.

[Med] How those servers will react to DDoS attacks or other abuses?

> >       SHOULD NOT store logs of incoming IP addresses from inbound
> >       traffic for longer than three days.
> >
> > Med: It is out of the scope of the IETF to define the duration of logs.
> This is country-specific.
>
> I'm proposing a recommendation for a best practise.

[Med] But there are laws out of there. I don't think that we need to interfere with those.

 Presumably if for
> legal reasons one finds oneself unable to follow best practise, one
> follows a worse practise instead. The fact that some people may have to
> follow a worse practise is not a reason to recommend a poor practise.
>
> >       SHOULD NOT log unnecessary identifiers, such as source port
> >       number, time stamps, transport protocol numbers or destination
> >       port numbers.
> >
> > Med: Not sure to understand this one. "unnecessary identifiers" is not
> clear. I prefer the current language in 6302 which identifies the minimum set
> of information.
>
> The recommendation follows immediately from data minimization in
> RFC6973, which is consistently adhered to in IETF drafts with a privacy
> focus.

[Med] But how this is related to RFC6302 context?

> >       SHOULD ensure adequate log access control, with suitable
> >       mechanisms for keeping track of which entity accesses logged
> >       identifiers, for what reason and at what time.
> >
> > Med: I hear you, but this is out of scope of the IETF. Access rights to
> retention data is well known and is not altered by the IETF specification.
>
> I don't understand the objection. The IETF discusses access control and
> authentication in various circumstances.

[Med] Rules to access regulatory data are well known.