Re: [Int-area] Where/How is the features innovation, happening? Re: 202112271737.AYC

Jiayihao <jiayihao@huawei.com> Tue, 11 January 2022 10:02 UTC

From: Jiayihao <jiayihao@huawei.com>
To: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>
CC: "Abraham Y. Chen" <aychen@avinta.com>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 10:02:16 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.167.116]
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Where/How is the features innovation, happening? Re: 202112271737.AYC

Hello Tom,

Thanks for sharing draft-herbert-ipv6-prefix-address-privacy, and I am concerning the following points after I go through the draft and related references.

- Both IPv6 Temporary Address (TA6 for short) and NAT only enhance privacy against third parties except the Law Enforcement party (a party with super power).

If so, let’s focus on the privacy for those third parties:

- If a prefix is assigned to a certain entity (like a house, or a certain laboratory), privacy is still hard to reach because such entity can be correlated to just a few users, and such mapping can be easily figured out in reality.

In general, if X(X>=1) endpoints are assigned with Y(Y>=1) shared prefixes in TA6 scenarios, I feel the only ways that the privacy can be enhanced are that:
1. X >> Y, so the case is pretty similar to NAT
2. Y >> X, so the case is like any endpoint have infinite prefixes, so I just assume that each endpoint can use different prefix for each flow connect. (However in reality we would really worry about prefix consumption attack, just looks like another kind of DDoS)

Any cases else cannot improve good privacy.
HOWEVER, the suffix/IID in TA6 is out of business NO MATTER it is case 1 or case 2!

For this, I am pretty pessimistic that TA6 seems never provide practical privacy enhancement compared to IPv4, nor provide any proof in the referenced drafts.

---

Besides, as you mention ID/locator split, I am doubt that it just don’t works because although ID provide explicit identity, locators are still and always provide IMPLICIT identity just like what IPv4 did. IMO ID/locator split cannot remove the Implicit nature that locator would always be a shadow of identity.

Best Regards,
Yihao