Re: [Int-area] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Rolf Winter <rolf.winter@hs-augsburg.de> Thu, 25 January 2018 13:35 UTC

To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: int-area@ietf.org, draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider@ietf.org, intarea-chairs@ietf.org
From: Rolf Winter <rolf.winter@hs-augsburg.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:35:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren,

I think I understand the issue you have with that bit of text.
draft-perkins-intarea-multicast-ieee802 discusses a bunch of bcast/mcast
management features that certain classes of APs provide. We have one
example of this in the draft (and should point to
draft-perkins-intarea-multicast-ieee802 for more examples). The problem
is, that these features target specific protocols, i.e. ones that are
standardized and worth paying attention to. The rest can only be dealt
with by not rebroadcasting frames over the wireless medium. That is the
best you can do. And it is done for performance reasons on networks such
as the IETF meeting network, but I guess not for privacy reasons. All we
really wanted to say was, that as a network administrator you can
protect your users from the privacy risks described in the document, but
you might affect certain applications, potentially rendering them
useless. And we wanted it to be value-free because this in not a black
and white thing in my personal opinion.

As a suggestion, we would add
draft-mcbride-mboned-wifi-mcast-problem-statement and respective text.
Since we already have the other draft in the document, we would point to
the already implemented things in
draft-perkins-intarea-multicast-ieee802, which really makes a good point
for reusing IETF-specified protocols and not invent something new. Would
that clear your discuss?

Best,

Rolf