Re: [Int-area] [MEXT] Rethink on Mobile IPv6

<Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com> Thu, 04 March 2010 22:00 UTC

From: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
To: hesham@elevatemobile.com, mext@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:58:21 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: int-area@ietf.org, rdroms@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [Int-area] [MEXT] Rethink on Mobile IPv6

Hi Hesham,

On 3/3/10 8:25 PM, "ext Hesham Soliman" <hesham@elevatemobile.com> wrote:

> Hi Raj,
>
> A couple of thoughts.
> First, you've redefined the purpose of MIPv6 to be about setting up a tunnel
> between the MN and the HA. Whether this is correct or not, it's worth noting
> that your basis for such definition is unknown. It certainly doesn't match
> our reference for MIPv6 (RFC 3775).

As I wrote, the very basic functionality of MIP6 is to establish the tunnel
and then manage the end-point change. This is my PoV. But maybe you see it
differently.

> Regarding the complexity of DSMIPv6. Arnaud is 100% right in his response
> and this was discussed on the mext list more times than I can remember. The
> complexity is due to NAT traversal. Yes, we could have reduced the
> complexity if we relied on MIP-only traversal techniques instead of having
> both MIP and IPsec traversal run simultaneously, but what is the other
> alternative for negotiating a security association behind a NAT?

I am not disagreeing that part of the complexity results from the presence
of a NAT and having to develop means to traverse the NAT.
I am of the view that the use of IPsec and IKEv,v2 in conjunction with
Mobile IPv6 is complex. There is really no good reason to bind MIP6 with
Ipsec and IKE. This is a legacy decision and one that is just proving to be
plain wrong. An IPsec SA between the MN and HA is not required for enabling
IP mobility. We overcome the NAT related complexities by dropping the
reliance on Ipsec/IKE. The security model for MIP6 is a relic that needs to
be revisited for simplification of the protocol itself.

> The problem *is* NAT. I'm afraid that once you plant the seeds of hackiness
> (if that's a word) by using NATs you have to harvest the output at some
> point. There is no free lunch when you have a deployed base of 2 billion
> users.

Deployed base of 2 billion users??? You mean behind a NAT? But none of them
will ever use MIP6/DSMIP6 (IMO at least) if we have to employ the hackiness
of traversing NATs. Obviously NATs are not going away for sure and we will
probably have other variants as well in the future (NAT64s and NAT464s
etc.). We do not have as much of an issue with the NATs if we don't have to
rely on Ipsec/IKE,v2.

> I continued to suggest (for about 6 years now) that we use CGAs for MIPv6.
> It's by far the cleanest solution we have. My best description to the
> resistance of adopting CGAs is: Politics. There is no technical reason for
> not using them and we all know that. So if you want to come up with
> alternatives, you'd be doing the community a disservice if you don't
> seriously consider CGAs.

I think we should consider all alternatives. I don't know if you have
proposed how CGAs could be used in the context of MIP6 security. I am more
than happy to build a MIP6 protocol that uses CGAs if such an approach would
reduce the complexity.

> In fact, I'd go further and say you need to explain
> why not.

I don't need to explain because I am quite happy to consider the CGA
proposal.

> We've already seen what happens when we produce half cooked
> security proposals tailored to a specific SDO's needs (read: RFC 4285).

4285 IMO is quite okay in certain deployments. If the network in which you
deploy MIP6 already has a means to securely exchange keys (eg. 3GPP/2, WiMAX
networks) then you could very well use RFC4285. Why would you need to
establish an IPsec SA using IKE/v2 between the MN and HA in such networks?
Just does not make sense. And FWIW, I am not raising the topic of
simplifying MIP6/DSMIP6 with a specific solution in mind. But rather from
the perspective that we need to revisit the protocol and simplify it to meet
the basic mobility needs first.

> I look forward to the continuation of these discussions.

Sure.

-Raj