[Int-area] Warren Kumari's Yes on draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-15: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 07 August 2019 21:58 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile@ietf.org, Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@ericsson.com>, Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, intarea-chairs@ietf.org, jmh@joelhalpern.com, int-area@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2019 14:58:15 -0700
Subject: [Int-area] Warren Kumari's Yes on draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-15: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-15: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile/

COMMENT:

It's very seldom that I ballot Yes on a document for which I'm not the
Responsible AD, but this is important enough that I'm doing so; unfortunately
there are are some bits which make me uncomfortable though, and so I spent a
while in the unusual situation of trying to decide between DISCUSS and YES -
after looking at the author list and responsible AD I'm sure that my comments
will be considered, and so I'm balloting Yes.

1: "Legacy protocols that depend upon IP fragmentation SHOULD be updated to
remove that dependency." I really don't like the  SHOULD here -- while I fully
agree that legacy protocols should be update, the RFC2119 usage feels weird -
it's unclear exactly who it is aimed at (everyone? the people who wrote the
legacy protocols? some mythical cleanup author?)

2: I'm unclear why IP-in-IP tunnels are called out at the top / in the
Introduction. There is a whole section (Packet-in-Packet Encapsulations) where
I think it would go better -- I see no harm in having people have to read down
to there to note this.

3: "NOTE 2: A non-fragmentable packet can be fragmented at its source. However,
it cannot be fragmented by a downstream node.  An IPv4 packet whose DF-bit is
set to 0 is fragmentable.  An IPv4 packet whose DF-bit is set to 1 is
non-fragmentable.  All IPv6 packets are also non-fragmentable." I have a few
issues with this: 3.1: I'm not really sure a non-fragmentable packet can be
fragmented at its source -- the packet *can* be fragmented but I'd say that
that is before it has become non-fragmentable. It's entirely possible that I'm
missing something obvious here, but a skim of 791 didn't show me what.... 3.2:
This may be a corner case, but some tunneling gear seems happy to ignore the DF
bit when it is doing reassembly on the far side of the tunnel -- the logic
seems to be that as long as what goes into the tunnel matches what comes out it
doesn't matter what actually happens *inside* the tunnel. 3.3: Related  to this
- most tunneling gear (and many firewalls) allow you to clear the DF bit in
packets -- for example, cisco has the 'crypto ipsec df-bit clear' command,
Junos allows you to do 'services ipsec-vpn rule myvpn term stomp_on_df then
clear-dont-fragment-bit;', iptables lets you 'iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING
-j DF --clear' 3.2 and 3.3 are common enough that I think that they deserve
mention.

4: What do you mean by middle box in section 6.3?
Yes, I know what is commonly called a middlebox, but I don't know of a good
reference -- as an example, I've got some honkin' big routers which do
stateless firewall filtering -- these are covered by 3.7, but are they also
middleboxes, and if not, why not?! (Note, my personal belief is that they
aren't, but I cannot really point to why, other than "I know a middlebox when I
see one". There is a discussion on some of this in "Why Operators Filter
Fragments and What It Implies" (draft-taylor-v6ops-fragdrop-02), but this also
uses the term middlebox without defining it.

Nits:
A: Whlie -- While