Re: [Int-dir] draft-kivinen-802-15-ie-02.txt

Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@earthlink.net> Tue, 25 October 2016 03:32 UTC

To: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 20:31:12 -0700
Cc: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>, "int-ads@ietf.org" <int-ads@ietf.org>, "int-dir@ietf.org" <int-dir@ietf.org>, Pat Kinney <pat.kinney@kinneyconsultingllc.com>, intarea-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Int-dir] draft-kivinen-802-15-ie-02.txt

Hello Tero and all,

I reviewed the document revision ...-04.txt that you sent.  It looks
good.  I have a couple of miniscule editorial comments down below.

Regarding the need for the Vendor IE section:  it still seems to me that
the section would work well as an appendix.  But, especially if it is to
be maintained in the normative text, perhaps the title could be changed
to "Vendor Specific IE not needed" to make the purpose of the section
even more clear.

On further reflection, I think you are indeed right that any additional
security policy should anyway be checked at protocol layers higher than
the MAC layer, and your wording in the Security Considerations section
does express that thought.

Miniscule editorial suggestions follow:

  * "                                              it is never
    encrypted, but they may be authenticated"
      o the clauses are mismatched.  I think the simplest fix is to
        delete the word "they".

  * "IETF would requests" --> "IETF would request" --> "The IETF would
    request" --> "The IETF requests"
      o The first one is wrong, the second one uses the subjunctive but
        I don't know why, the third one sounds a little better to me,
        but the fourth one is declarative and I think that is actually
        best for what is intended.  In the next sentence I think that
        "Furthermore IETF" should be "Furthermore the IETF".  This could
        simply be a regional preference on my part.

I'd also like to echo Pascal's appreciation for your production of this
badly needed Internet Draft.

Regards,
Charlie P.