[ipcdn] RE: Review of draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-mtamib-04.txt

"Jean-Francois Mule" <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Wed, 12 January 2005 00:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:47:06 -0700
From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: Dave Thaler <dthaler@windows.microsoft.com>, ipcdn@ietf.org
Cc: randy_presuhn@mindspring.com, "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, enechamkin@broadcom.com, "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>
Subject: [ipcdn] RE: Review of draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-mtamib-04.txt
Sender: ipcdn-bounces@ietf.org

To close on one additional comment:
Dave wrote:
> 12) pktcMtaDevErrorOid, pktcMtaDevErrorValue, etc:
>     why are OIDs of type SnmpAdminString rather than an
> OBJECT IDENTIFIER
>     type/subtype?  As is, the management station cannot do
> simple things
>     like expanding the OID into the defined string tokens in the MIB.

We discussed this point during the IETF IPCDN meeting #61, see proceedings at:
 <http://www1.ietf.org/proceedings_new/04nov/ipcdn.html#cmr>

The meeting minutes recorded:
    In the WG meeting, we had consensus that since the OID and its
    value is provided in the MTA config file by an operator in the
    form of a character string, it is better to leave the syntax
    as SnmpAdminString rather than OBJECT IDENTIFIER. It was also
    requested that the above explanation be mentioned in the doc.

So, the resolution is:
    - no object syntax change
    - change the description of the pktcMtaDevErrorOid to indicate the following:
         "Note that the syntax of this object is SnmpAdminString
          rather OBJECT IDENTIFIER because the object value is
          provided by an operator in the MTA configuration file
          in the form of a character string."
    - after more review of the pktcMtaDevErrorValue object, we do not believe the above text should be added to its description as this pktcMtaDevErrorValue object may contain all kinds of object values in the case where the MTA can recognize the OID but cannot interpret the given value.

Proposed text changes:
pktcMtaDevErrorOid  OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        " This object contains a human readable representation
          (character string) of the OID corresponding to the
          configuration file parameter that caused the particular
          error.
          For example, if the value of the pktcMtaDevEnabled object
          in the configuration file caused an error, then this
          object instance will contain the human readable string of
          '.1.3.6.1.2.1.XXX.1.1.6.0'.
    * NOTES TO RFC Editor (to be removed prior to publication) *
    * Please replace XXX with the IANA-assigned number under   *
    * mib-2.                                                   *

          If the MTA generated an error because it was not able
          to recognize a particular OID, then this object
          instance would contain an empty value (zero-length
          string).
          For example, if the value of an OID in the configuration
          file was interpreted by the MTA as being .1.2.3.4.5, and
          the MTA was not able to recognize this OID as a valid one,
          this object instance will contain a zero-length string.
          Note that the syntax of this object is SnmpAdminString
          rather OBJECT IDENTIFIER because the object value is
          provided by an operator in the MTA configuration file
          in the form of a character string."
    ::= {pktcMtaDevErrorOidsEntry 2}

Let us know if this change is acceptable or else, feel free to propose text improvements or suggestions.

Thanks,

Jean-François