RE: [ipcdn] RE: IETF IPCDN proposed standard drafts MIB Modules O ID assignmen ts: Assigning new RFCs under mib-2

"Fred Oko" <foko@c-cor.net> Fri, 07 January 2005 08:14 UTC

Subject: RE: [ipcdn] RE: IETF IPCDN proposed standard drafts MIB Modules O ID assignmen ts: Assigning new RFCs under mib-2
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:04:39 -0500
From: Fred Oko <foko@c-cor.net>
To: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>, andre.lejeune@terayon.com, jf.mule@cablelabs.com
Cc: gnakanishi@motorola.com, e.cardona@cablelabs.com, ipcdn@ietf.org, bwijnen@lucent.com, docsis-oss@cablelabs.com
Sender: ipcdn-bounces@ietf.org

I would be interested seeing best practices that have been learned by readers of this reflector contributed to the 04 version of the noted draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-03.txt. In particular, as an expansion upon the advise against using experimental for anything that would see field deployment (as is the case for all IPCDN drafts and the like) the advice of the possibly cleaner direction of using enterprise space (e.g. CableLabs enterprise clabProj* of noted path being taken by IPCDN) with notes for the possible necessities of re-rooting.

4.3.  Naming Hierarchy
   Experience has shown that it is impractical to move objects from one
   subtree to another once those objects have seen large-scale use in an
   operational environment.  Hence any object that is targeted for
   deployment in an operational environment MUST NOT be registered under
   the experimental subtree, irrespective of the standardization status
   of that object.  The experimental subtree should be used only for
   objects that are intended for limited experimental deployment.  Such
   objects typically are defined in Experimental RFCs.