[ipcdn] RE: IETF IPCDN proposed standard drafts MIB Modules OID assignmen ts: Assigning new RFCs under mib-2

"Fred Oko" <foko@c-cor.net> Fri, 07 January 2005 08:14 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:04:30 -0500
From: Fred Oko <foko@c-cor.net>
To: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>, andre.lejeune@terayon.com
Cc: gnakanishi@motorola.com, Eduardo Cardona <e.cardona@cablelabs.com>, ipcdn@ietf.org, Dan Rice <drice@c-cor.net>, DOCSIS OSS Majordomo List <docsis-oss@cablelabs.com>
Subject: [ipcdn] RE: IETF IPCDN proposed standard drafts MIB Modules OID assignmen ts: Assigning new RFCs under mib-2
Sender: ipcdn-bounces@ietf.org

OK, sorry if I have transgressed. In part my cross-posting was something I questioned and took guidance from seeing some previous cross-posting (being the most efficient distribution) on the reflectors but will be careful to avoid such in the future. As a theme of this thread I embrace, we learn by doing.

In part I was under the impression that the draft period was a time not only for forward evolution but that time would also be given to examine the operational impact imposed upon MIB implementers and consumers so as to not run into a brick wall once the RFC is cast in stone/shipped -- we could later call it foresight. But as you say some of the drafts have taken directions that no longer support backward-compatibility and would in fact mandate a re-root to prevent OID<->object conflicts etc. As I was not tracking this at the time I can only assume that this was the only (/optimal by consensus) path and no longer open to review e.g.

    REVISION        "200302010000Z" -- February 1, 2003
    DESCRIPTION
        "Published as draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-07.txt.

        Changes from qos-mib-06 include:

        - Re-routed the docQosMib because of compilation errors.
        - Removed obsolete and deprecated objects.
        - Renumbered existing objects after removal of
          obsolete and deprecated objects.

and the subsequent renaming to DOCS-IETF-QOS-MIB from DOCS-QOS-MIB.

But note that my original references to backward-compatibility were not referring to the desired intra-MIB backward-compatibility (to the version mandated to be implemented) we have lost but instead of the likely necessity of the CMTS to support (post-reroot) backward-compatability at the SNMP agent application layer by concurrently exposing both the already-implemented draft MIB in addition to the RFCed version (i.e. transition period). The only other field deployment precedent to such a case yet faced by CableLabs MIBs was the noted docsDev experimental and RFC versions at the CM level. But there the two versions were interchangeable but for OID root while here there could be a mandate to support two, as you note, quite different versions of what in some cases can be expensive MIBs to manage resource-wise.

I would think the experiences of the respondents on this thread would cry out for a better scheme for handling such version incompatibilities if this is truly such a common occurrence with internet drafts in industries that demand rapid deployment. I would expect this to be one trait to consider in evaluating possible technology replacements for SNMP in DOCSIS3.0 such that it is easier to support versioning through handshake or views.