Re: [ipfix] DRAFT IPFIX meeting minutes, 58th IETF, Minneapolis

Dave Plonka <plonka@doit.wisc.edu> Mon, 10 November 2003 22:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:26:39 -0600
From: Dave Plonka <plonka@doit.wisc.edu>
To: ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu
Cc: Tal Givoly <givoly@xacct.com>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [ipfix] DRAFT IPFIX meeting minutes, 58th IETF, Minneapolis
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Hi Tal,

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:34:54PM -0800, Tal Givoly wrote:
> Dave,
>
> >   1) Both counters and integers are needed in the information model.
> >      (Here, by integer we mean an absolute value a la SNMP.)
>
> I wasn't in the meeting, but I believe your parenthesis should be the
> opposite. "counters" represent the SNMP-like behavior whereas "integers"
> refers to the delta between the previous record and the next record. I also
> believe that the term "integer" is misleading as the counter itself is also
> an integer (however one that may or may not have a wrapping/overflow
> behavior).

You're right... I see now that that is true even in SNMP, so my
parentesized qualification is insufficient.

> Perhaps the term "delta" would more appropriate?

OK, I'll clarify it.

I think instead of counter and integer, we should say "counter" and "gauge".

These terms are defined in section 3.2.1 of RFC1065
("http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1065.txt"):

   3.2.3.3.  Counter

      This application-wide type represents a non-negative integer which
      monotonically increases until it reaches a maximum value, when it
      wraps around and starts increasing again from zero.  This memo
      specifies a maximum value of 2^32-1 (4294967295 decimal) for
      counters.

   3.2.3.4.  Gauge

      This application-wide type represents a non-negative integer, which
      may increase or decrease, but which latches at a maximum value.  This
      memo specifies a maximum value of 2^32-1 (4294967295 decimal) for
      gauges.

Thanks,
Dave

--