RE: [ipfix] DRAFT IPFIX meeting minutes, 58th IETF, Minneapolis

"Tal Givoly" <givoly@xacct.com> Mon, 10 November 2003 23:37 UTC

From: Tal Givoly <givoly@xacct.com>
To: plonka@doit.wisc.edu, ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu
Subject: RE: [ipfix] DRAFT IPFIX meeting minutes, 58th IETF, Minneapolis
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:24:20 -0800
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Dave,

Counter looks good in RFC1065, but the term "integer" that was used in IPFIX
context is not equivalent to GAUGE.

Integers in IPFIX context, or "Delta" value is a non-negative integer that
is representative of the absolute difference in value of a theoretical
counter between one record and the other. I say theoretical counter because
no counter needs to actually exist - what delta value reports are the number
of <something> that were observed/measured since the last report.
<something> could be octets, packets, frames, time units, etc.

I'm also unsure about the term "application wide" as although a counter or a
gauge are common to all observers, delta values are not common to all
observers (so if an exporter/meter is sending to multiple destinations, it
may have different delta values for each destination and there is no
commonly agreed upon, application wide, value - unless it is imposed that
the records are identical for all recipients).

Tal