Re: [IPFIX] exporting ranges in IPFIX

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Mon, 11 June 2012 14:48 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:48:45 +0200
To: Paul Aitken <paitken@cisco.com>
Cc: IETF IPFIX Working Group <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] exporting ranges in IPFIX

Hi, Paul, all,

As for adding the port block range IEs, this makes sense as there is (1) no generic range mechanism for IPFIX and (2) no way to report blocks of ports semantically consistent with that required by draft-ietf-behave-lsn-requirements.

Two comments, neither particularly IPFIX-specific:

First, there is a danger here, of course, that self-inconsistent information can be reported using either the step size or number of ports in block for stepped ranges: simply report a step or count greater than the range. This should of course be treated in the descriptions of the IEs...

Second, it's not clear that the proposed solution covers the applications envisioned by the draft in question; from section 5:

   Note that this list is not exhaustive.  There is a continuum of
   behavior that a CGN may choose to implement.  For example, a CGN
   could use scattered port sets of consecutive port sets.

The stepped-range thing seems a little hackish to me, but I'm not at all familiar with how things are done on CGNs. What about disjoint stepped ranges? What about uneven steps? Hacks are great, but they should at least address the whole problem, I think. However, I suppose these IEs plus structured data would handle every reasonable case... if that's the approach, that should also be mentioned.

Cheers,

Brian