Re: [IPFIX] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-ipfix-ie-doctors-00

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 08 October 2010 06:38 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 08:39:41 +0200
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Cc: "ipfix@ietf.org Group" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-ipfix-ie-doctors-00

Hi, Hadriel,

Thanks for the feedback.

The primary design goal of the IESpec format is human readability in the expression of information model extensions and templates, while maintaining simple machine readability. The idea is implementors can read an Internet Draft about an IPFIX application with example templates in IESpec form, copy and paste the example templates out of it into an implementation supporting IEspec, fill in the fields and go. For readability and compactness, it's intended to address shortcomings both in the XML format(s) already defined for IPFIX IEs, and in the traditional 32-bit-wide box-and-line diagrams, which make it difficult to fit a nontrivial template onto a single page, and require some manual work to turn into an implementation.

The XML format in 5102 has been partially superceded by the one used by IANA internally (I'm not sure the extent to which the one uses the elements from the other, it's been a while), and is specifically targeted only for defining Information Elements to be added to the registry. (If you need to put IE metadata on the wire, e.g. to define enterprise-specific IEs in long-term storage, 5610 covers that.)

As to the structure, you have a point; it's a little tacked on. IESpec was formerly (well, currently; it's not expired yet) its own document, and integrated into ie-doctors on several suggestions in Maastricht; I'm not yet decided where it belongs...

Cheers,

Brian