Re: [IPFIX] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-ipfix-ie-doctors-00

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Thu, 07 October 2010 23:04 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:05:33 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ipfix@ietf.org Group" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-trammell-ipfix-ie-doctors-00

Hi Brian,
I read this draft, and most of it seems good/useful/motherhood-and-apple-pie.

The only substantive comment/question I have is on section 9, the textual IESpec stuff.  Do we really need yet another textual representation of meta-data?  Isn't there already an XML-based one from rfc5102?

I note your statement that the design goal was compactness and not needing XML support, but it's not clear why those properties matter when the meta-data is never on the wire in its textual form.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not an XML fan by any stretch, but I'd hate to have two textual representation formats for one protocol, and re-inventing the wheel with yet-another-new-format seems silly. (Nevermind that the IETF already uses SMI/ASN.1 for SNMP, XML for DIAMETER, ABNF for a HTTP/SIP/RTSP/SMTP/etc., defacto-standards for RADIUS and DNS, and who knows what else. :)

It's also kinda weird to have a new text format in a Guidelines doc.

-hadriel