Re: [ipfix] IPFIX followup charter

Falko Dressler <dressler@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> Fri, 03 February 2006 08:50 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:31:16 +0100
From: Falko Dressler <dressler@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
To: ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu
Subject: Re: [ipfix] IPFIX followup charter
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Dear Juergen, Tanja, Brian, Carter, *,

I read all the responses to Juergens initial email. Mostly, they
suggested to include "just another" additional item to the proposed
charter. I believe that all these proposals are really important to
successfully deploy IPFIX in the field or to convince a wider audience.
Nevertheless, I support Juergens idea of having a very short living
charter that covers only a few drafts and a quick re-chartering to
include the "next couple of" drafts - again for a fast WG processing.
This procedure does not exclude any bright ideas from the IPFIX WG but
allows to always focus on a few drafts, bringing them to RFC state, and
to repeat these steps again and again.

Cheers,
Falko.

Juergen Quittek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As you know, the IPFIX working group has completed its charter
> by submitting all planned documents (with a delay of several years)
> to the IESG for publication as RFC.  Also the PSAMP WG will reach
> this status soon.
>
> Building on the results of these WGs, there are a lot of related
> ongoing activities that are producing Internet drafts related to
> IPFIX.  Several of them have already been presented at recent IPFIX
> and PSAMP sessions.  But working on them is not covered by the IPFIX
> or PSAMP charter.  If we want to continue this IPFIX-related work,
> we need a new charter that gives it a home at the IETF.
>
> The text below lists and discusses related work and suggests a
> charter for a follow-up WG.  It is the output of several discussions
> with Tanja, Benoit, and Nevil.
>
> The proposed charter is very short-lived and includes only the three
> most mature work items out of a longer list of candidates.  The basic
> idea is completing this charter within less than a year and then
> re-chartering to cover further work items that have progressed until
> then.  This lean work model with short-lived charters allows the group
> to focus on a limited number of issues and is preferable to long-lived
> WGs working on many issues in parallel.  (It is highly recommended
> by the IESG.)
>
> Please have a look at it and state whether or not you think it makes
> sense to have an IPFIX follow-up WG.  Also please read the proposed
> charter carefully and express your objections, concerns, comments,
> requests for modifications, etc.
>
> The plan is to elaborate the new charter proposal on this list and
> submit an agreed version to our area directors soon.  The deadline
> for requesting BoF sessions at the next IETF meeting in Dallas is
> February 13.
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Juergen

> Why do we need to continue the work of IPFIX and PSAMP?
>
> IPFIX has completed its charter and PSAMP will do so very soon.  Still,
> there
> are a lot of ongoing activities in the community of these two WGs:
>
> 1. Flow aggregation
>   draft-dressler-ipfix-aggregation-01.txt
>
> 2. reducing redundancy in IPFIX and PSAMP reports
>   draft-boschi-export-perpktinfo-00.txt
>
> 3. IPFIX implementation guidelines
>   draft-boschi-ipfix-implementation-guidelines-00.txt
>
> 4. Path-coupled meter configuration
>   draft-fessi-nsis-m-nslp-framework-02.txt
>   draft-dressler-nsis-metering-nslp-03.txt
>   (currently under discussion in the NSIS WG, but not covered
>   by the NSIS charter. It is a candidate work item for NSIS
>   re-chartering, but the NSIS WG asks if it would not be better
>   covered by IPFIX)
>
> 5. IPFIX reliability
>   draft-bclaise-ipfix-reliability-00.txt
>
> 6. Reporting bi-directional flows with IPFIX
>   draft-boschi-ipfix-biflow-01.txt
>
> 7. a format for storing IPFIX records
> [...]

Dr.-Ing. Falko Dressler
Computer Networks and Communication Systems
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Phone: +49 9131 85-27914 / Fax: +49 9131 85-27409
EMail: dressler@informatik.uni-erlangen.de / fd@acm.org
WWW: http://www7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~dressler/

--
Help        mailto:majordomo@net.doit.wisc.edu and say "help" in message body