Re: [IPFIX] [SPAM I AM] RE: MPLS IEs in IANA's IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Entities registry

Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> Thu, 11 September 2014 06:40 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 08:40:09 +0200
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: Gregory Mirsky <gregory.mirsky@ericsson.com>, ie-doctors@ietf.org, "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] [SPAM I AM] RE: MPLS IEs in IANA's IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Entities registry

hi Benoit, Greg,

This change looks to be interoperable to me under Section 5.2 of 7103, points 5 and 7. 7 seems clear:

(7)    it harmonizes with an external reference that was itself corrected.

5 is less so:

(5)    it defines a previously undefined or reserved enumerated value,
       or one or more previously reserved bits in an Information Element
       with flag semantics; or

since these are neither enumerated values nor "flags"; however, the text in the section wasn't really written with elements with internal structure in mind (see 7013 section 4.5, though the label stack IEs are permissible under point 4 of that list), so I would see point 5 as covering this under "previously reserved bits".

(Perhaps we should file a technical erratum for the next 7013 revision changing point 5 to reflect this; i.e. NEW: )

(5)    it defines a previously undefined or reserved enumerated value,
       or one or more previously reserved bits in an Information Element
       with flag semantics or internal structure; or

That said these IEs are a terrible hack and I'd love to see them deprecated and replaced with something slightly less broken (see 7013 sections 4.6 and 4.9 paragraph 5). But it's hard to argue with an update to a set of IEs which corresponds to what any implementation will do _anyway_ without being updated (i.e. just keep copying those bits even though we have an agreement to believe they mean something different now.)

Cheers,

Brian