RE: [Ipoverib] Comments on IPoIB Connected Mode Connection Establ ishment

Dror Goldenberg <gdror@mellanox.co.il> Sun, 11 September 2005 05:24 UTC

From: Dror Goldenberg <gdror@mellanox.co.il>
To: Vivek Kashyap <kashyapv@us.ibm.com>, Dror Goldenberg <gdror@mellanox.co.il>
Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] Comments on IPoIB Connected Mode Connection Establ ishment
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 08:23:41 +0300
Cc: IPoverIB <ipoverib@ietf.org>
Sender: ipoverib-bounces@ietf.org

Sounds like we agree that active/active is very difficult and will be really
hard
to define given how IB service ID and communication manager work. Therefore,

I think that we should go for the active/passive with the ability to reject
at the
application (ipoib) level.

For the case of more than one connection between two peers, we first need to
decide whether we want to allow it (now or in the future). If we disallow
it, then
it's very simple, for each crossing request we need to decide which side
should
accept and which side should reject it (e.g. GID compare).

If we want to allow  more than one connection in the future, then maybe we
should think of embedding a "channel index" into the private data. This way,

the two peers can add the channel index on which they are transmitting.
BTW, it'll take more than that to enable more than one channel, for example,
we should try to avoid reordering of IP datagrams that can happen when more
than one channel is being used to send them.

What about connection termination ? This should probably be added to the RFC
draft. I can think of two cases where one would want to terminate a
connection.
1) When the ipoib driver goes down; 2) Inactive connections can be taken
down
to reduce resource consumption.

-Dror