RE: [Ipoverib] Comments on IPoIB Connected Mode Connection Establ ishment

Vivek Kashyap <kashyapv@us.ibm.com> Tue, 06 September 2005 08:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:39:55 -0700
From: Vivek Kashyap <kashyapv@us.ibm.com>
To: Dror Goldenberg <gdror@mellanox.co.il>
Subject: RE: [Ipoverib] Comments on IPoIB Connected Mode Connection Establ ishment
Cc: IPoverIB <ipoverib@ietf.org>
Sender: ipoverib-bounces@ietf.org

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Dror Goldenberg wrote:

> [...]

yes, need to look into it in detail. My initial thought is that the
method of determining if there are connections in flight is based on
receiving a request source GID+QPN  while attempting a connection to the same.

> BTW, what will be the rejection reason ? Seems like the most appropriate is
> 28 - consumer reject.

seems ok to me.

> Note that it becomes tricky if you want to allow more than one
> connection on the same service ID. So, is there a way you can tell whether
> your peer is trying to establish the 1st or 2nd connection while you are
> trying to set up the 1st one ?

hmm...good point, unless we take it that any request that crosses is deemed
active-active. Once a connection is established further requests can
be made on the same Service-ID (or denied depending on the implementation).

> I think it'll be best if we can use the standard active-active mechanism.

We need a common Service-ID for it that must be known/derivable by both
the peers. Since masks are not supported by CMs using both QPNs in the
service-ID is difficult.