RE: [ippm] Advancement of metrics specifications on the IETF StandardsTrack

"Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com> Tue, 21 August 2007 06:57 UTC

Subject: RE: [ippm] Advancement of metrics specifications on the IETF StandardsTrack
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:56:57 +0200
From: "Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com>
To: henk@ripe.net
Cc: ippm@ietf.org

Henk, all,

bradner metrictest proposes a method to compare two implementations on a statistical basis and provides criteria to determine, whether their results have "similar" statistical properties. The draft however doesn't define a method to determine which implementation is correct if both measure "different" statistical properties for the same basic event. I'm not sure, whether that is an issue. May be it is fair then to say, that both are not compatible with the RFC (if not, how to decide, which is the failed one)?
What is to be done, if four implementations are available, say a, b, c and d. Assume a and b as well as c and d to fulfill the bradner metric test in the shown order of pairs, but not a and c/d (b and c/d respectively). Will all be stamped "compatible to RFC..." then?

I think the following conditions should be met:

- repeat a test with a single implementation and prove that this single
  implementation produces n results for n repeated measurements of the same
  reference object with similar statistical properties in itself.

- provide a deterministic measurement of the metric.

- a better statistical comparism between two implementations and a
  comparism with an absolute measurement of the same event.

The deterministic measurement requires:
- the loss statistics of a congested interface
- passive monitors for delay parameters.

The time interval of the events to be measured in comparism with the probing interval plays a role too. You can't measure a 2 second event with probing intervals of 4 seconds.

I've collected limited practical experience on packet loss measurements (one ippm like implementation compared to loss counters in a commercial backbone).

Regards,

Ruediger