Re: [ippm] New Liaison Statement, "LS - Harmonization of IP Capacity and Latency Parameters: Revision of Draft Rec. Y.1540 on IP packet transfer performance parameters and New Annex A with Lab Evaluation Plan"

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com> Thu, 28 March 2019 15:43 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>
To: "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>, Bill Cerveny <ietf@wjcerveny.com>, Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>, Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>
CC: Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>, Scott Mansfield <Scott.Mansfield@Ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 15:42:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [31.133.129.239]
Subject: Re: [ippm] New Liaison Statement, "LS - Harmonization of IP Capacity and Latency Parameters: Revision of Draft Rec. Y.1540 on IP packet transfer performance parameters and New Annex A with Lab Evaluation Plan"

IPPM,

Following a side-meeting discussion of the Subject Liaison,
and several individuals indicating continuing interest
in this work,  I would like to propose the brief text of
a Liaison reply.

The WG will need to reach consensus on the text of
the reply as a next step.

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in this work!
regards,
Al

Proposed Body of Liaison Reply (to all recipients) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To: ITU-T SG12, ITU-T SG11, BBF ETSI TC STQ, ETSI TC INT

IETF IPPM working group thanks you for your liaison describing results from
your evaluation of IP Capacity and Latency Metrics and  methods of measurement.
The harmonization of these measurements is welcome in our industry.

We have the following comments on the preliminary results, and
the evaluation plan:

After noting the efficacy of UDP measurements in your results,
we can state that UDP transport is the basis for most IPPM measurement
implementations, and IPPM's measurement protocols.

When assessing IP Capacity and Latency, there should be
no attempt to determine the technology involved in the path,
such as AQM. The method should measure the path as a black box.

The presence of packet-marking-sensitive technologies, such as
Diff-serv queues add complexity to IP Capacity and Latency.

There is not yet a metric that characterizes the BW-Delay product
in the IPPM-literature.

Live network testing may be affected by Network operator policy,
it could change from the lab measurements - the test traffic is
part of the background traffic. OTOH, the operator could be
prioritizing test traffic, especially their own authorized testing.

We also suggest to include QUIC-based measurements in your Lab
evaluation, if possible.

Where a model or post-processing needs to be applied to the measurements,
this aspect must also be specified, especially for transport with multiple
connections (averaging the connection performance).

Some of the IPPM WG participants who indicated their interest in
November 2019 have begun to share their comments informally,
as planned.

Please keep the IPPM WG informed of your progress, especially if there are
ways in which IPPM WG participants assist further.

<signed by chairs of IPPM WG>