[ippm] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-rfc8889bis-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 20 September 2022 11:31 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ippm-rfc8889bis@ietf.org, ippm-chairs@ietf.org, ippm@ietf.org, tpauly@apple.com, tpauly@apple.com
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 04:31:28 -0700
Subject: [ippm] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-rfc8889bis-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ippm-rfc8889bis-03: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-rfc8889bis/

COMMENT:

Thanks for the work done in this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points; a reply will be appreciated.

Regards

-éric

## COMMENTS

### I-D Name

The name of the I-D is quite confusing "multipoint-to-multipoint"... I would
have really preferred to use "cluster" in the title and abstract.

### Cluster

About "cluster", I second John's original comment about the "fuzziness" of the
cluster definition.

### Section 5

"multipoint flows" is also weird as usually a flow is between 2 entities.
Suggest to use "flow aggregate"

### Cluster and NAT

A cluster is only defined as packets in == packets out. But, if 'flow' is
defined per IP addresses or 5-tuple, those properties must also be invariant,
i.e., neither IPv4 NAPT nor IPv6 NPT nor encapsulation/decapsulation. This
seems obvious, but this should be mentioned.

### Section 9

The title is about 'recommendations', but the text contains 'MUST' and not 'IS
RECOMMENDED'. Suggest to change either the section title or the text itself.