Re: [ippm] draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Mon, 23 August 2010 07:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:29:49 +0200
From: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
To: Barry.Constantine@jdsu.com
Cc: ippm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ippm] draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm

Hello Barry,

> Thank you for reviewing the draft again.  This is a good
> point and item for clarification.

> The draft was born with the primary intention of being
> conducted by network providers as another level of turn-up
> testing prior to end business customer hand-off.  Also this
> test could be used as a troubleshooting mechanism by the
> provider when the end-customer issues complaints concerning
> performance.

That's useful. The concern I expressed is about provider
external testing on high speed interfaces only.

I've heard of boxes promising to measure Y.1731 performance to
compliance with SLAs. If I got that right, a vendor suggested
to fill any spare capacity by dummy traffic just to make
sure the contractually agreed throughput is available all
the time.
While that is within SLA and to some extent technically feasible,
it is not desireable. That's why I'd like to have some hints at
the right place in the TCP TM draft helping to avoid not really
useful scenarios.

[snip]

Regards, Ruediger