Re: [ippm] draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm

Barry Constantine <Barry.Constantine@jdsu.com> Fri, 20 August 2010 12:23 UTC

From: Barry Constantine <Barry.Constantine@jdsu.com>
To: "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 05:23:48 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ippm] draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm

Hello Reudiger,

Thank you for reviewing the draft again.  This is a good point and item for clarification.

The draft was born with the primary intention of being conducted by network providers as another level of turn-up testing prior to end business customer hand-off.  Also this test could be used as a troubleshooting mechanism by the provider when the end-customer issues complaints concerning performance.

I have personally seen manual TCP testing conducted by network providers for both reasons listed above.  The manual nature of these tests and the network provider technician's inexperience with TCP testing, often leads to variable and non-conclusive results.

Enterprise customers are using tools such as "Iperf", "ttcp", etc. and are running throughput tests to verify the SLA that they purchased from the provider.  The enterprise customer challenges the provider's SLA and in most cases, the provider can only defend the SLA with Layer 2/3 test data.

I believe the majority of use cases will be over Ethernet / IP managed networks and not leased line interface but this will vary.  When I have been involved in these sort of tests (either Layer 2/3 packet stress tests or TCP), the network provider coordinates these tests either before the service is activated or during "off" hours with the end-customer.  And of course, these tests are controlled to be within the SLA purchased by the end customer.

Thanks,

Barry

Principal Member of Technical Staff

JDSU Communication Test (formerly Acterna)

Emerging Markets and Technology Research

One Milestone Center Court

Germantown, MD 20876

(W) 240-404-2227

(C) 301-325-7069