[ippm] some notes on draft-morton-ippm-delay-var-as-03

"Schmoll, Carsten" <Carsten.Schmoll@fokus.fraunhofer.de> Mon, 20 August 2007 08:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:41:22 +0200
From: "Schmoll, Carsten" <Carsten.Schmoll@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To: ippm@ietf.org
Subject: [ippm] some notes on draft-morton-ippm-delay-var-as-03

Dear authors,

I have recently read the ippm-delay-var-as
draft and believe it is on the right way.

For me it is clearly the most complete
comparison PDV vs. IPDV up to now and very
helpful to understand the nitpicks of each definition.

Let me add a few observations from my own work
in this area here:

a) as PDV is clearly a shifted version of the
   delay itself, its statistics can be directly
   derived from the delay (OWD) statistics when
   in addition the reference value is known.
   Even though I believe it has its own justification and use.

b) For IPDV it would be nice to know, how symmetrical
   it is in practice. If it is very symmetric in
   almost all cases then one might as well work
   with the stats applied to abs(IPDV) only.
   If unsymmetric IPDV distributions appear then
   one should present a positive and a negative high
   percentile or something like inter-quartile range
   as resulting statistics (in addition to mean IPDV in any case)

   Does anyone have results wrt. the symmetricity?

c) Esp. for IPDV it is not clear to me the effect
   of the packet selection function: Esp. the question:
   Does the size of the gaps between selected packets have an
   influence on the distribution of the resulting IPDV values?

   (in theory yes (I could give an example), but in practice?)

I will have a more detailed look at the draft in the next
week and then write some specific comments as well.

In general I'd say the draft should be concluded
with something like a table which recomends clearly
the use of PDV or IPDV and suggested stats
per desired application.

Best regards,
Carsten.

--

### !! ATTENTION !! Change of email address! Please use in future only:
carsten.schmoll@fokus.fraunhofer.de ###

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory theory and
practice are the same but in practice they are not."

Dipl.Ing. Carsten Schmoll              Fraunhofer Institute FOKUS
carsten.schmoll@fokus.fraunhofer.de    National Research Institute
Fraunhofer FOKUS / dept. NET           for Open Communication Systems
Tel: +49-30-3463-7136                  Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31
Fax: +49-30-3463-8136                  D-10589 Berlin, Germany