Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as.

"Jeff W. Boote" <boote@internet2.edu> Mon, 22 September 2008 18:09 UTC

From: "Jeff W. Boote" <boote@internet2.edu>
To: Henk Uijterwaal <henk@ripe.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:09:53 -0600
Cc: IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as.
Sender: ippm-bounces@ietf.org

Hi All,

I think this is a good draft with a LOT of very good information. It
is taking me some time to go through, but I wanted to provide *some*
feedback right away on my first impression. (As someone who would very
much like to have a draft like this published to support my ongoing
work.)

It would be very helpful if there was more of an executive summary for
people writing applications that could make use of these metrics (or
writing applications to produce these metrics). For example, I'd love
to see something near the beginning that said, for these types of
applications A, B, C - we recommend you use this metric, and that
metric is derived using processes X, Y, Z.

And then for those really interested in the *why*, you already have
very good information here.

I realize part of the issue here is that you don't necessarily give a
recommendation in all cases. (For example, section 6.5 still has
questions about what to report for a single number.) That is why I
would perhaps encourage you to break out a couple of application
classes, and indicate a good recommendation for each instead.

If this is counter to your goals for this draft, please feel free to
ignore. This is just what I was hoping to see based on the title/
abstract.

thanks,
jeff