Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as.

"Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com> Wed, 08 October 2008 08:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:10:50 +0200
From: "Geib, Ruediger" <Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com>
To: henk@ripe.net
Cc: ippm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ippm] WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as.
Sender: ippm-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Henk,

sorry for being late, I couldn't make it earlier.

No objections to the draft as is (I'm aware that I had ample
opportunity to object earlier).

Typos:

Section 4.2, last sentence of 2nd last textblock:

"However, approach has limitations that are..."
        ^^^^

Insert "this" or "the".

Section 6.2.2, first sentence

"If the path change is accompanied by loss, such that the are no..."
                                                      ^^^^
Replace "the" by "there".

7.3 Table, left column, last row

"Single Number SLS"

That stands for "Service Level Specification" (or was SLA meant)?

Regards,

Ruediger

PS: Recognising that I was lazy in the past, a few content related remarks
after the official message.

Section 4.1 of  draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as states that
   'An example selection function given in [RFC3393] is "Consecutive
    Type-P packets within the specified interval."  This is exactly the
    function needed for IPDV.'

I'd be interested in learning whether Henk's and Matt's implementations
apply this definition or another one. The question goes to all other
implementiors too. The more natural selection function seems to be to
evaluate pairs of consecutively received packets ignoring their
sequence numbers. Draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as however works with an
IPDV definition assuming awareness of sequence numbers. I'd like to
learn whether there are any implementations following the IPDV
definition of draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as (see section 6.1).

The following statement reflects practical experience:

The implementation we work with only accounts for the absolute value
of IPDV.

IPDV then is pretty sensible to fast changing queue levels, which
you see during queue build up and prior to packet drops. It's a kind
of seismographic curve you see then.

Looking at the definition, PDV is less sensible to queue build ups.

A final remark, also with some practical background: I think, a
combination of PDV and IPDV is the most useful attempt. IPDV has merits
in detecting reroutings and queue build ups, PDV may be more helpful
in characterising a network during smooth operation. But having both
seems to be best.

--end of message---