Re: [ippm] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry & draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com> Sun, 03 March 2019 19:57 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>
To: tom petch <ietfa@btconnect.com>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>, Tommy Pauly <tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry.all@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry.all@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 19:56:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [69.141.203.172]
Subject: Re: [ippm] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry & draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry

Tom, please see preliminary replies below.

I think some more discussion will help.
This pair of drafts is already complex in the
areas where IPPM has expertise, perhaps we can
accomplish some of our goals in different ways.

Al

[acm]
The Group could be Performance Metrics, and the registry containing the
registered metrics is the Performance Metrics Registry.
New Performance Metrics Registry is a section title in the IANA section.

> Dale references RFC6924 but I would disagree with him on that.   Calling
> urn: the first level, ietf: the second level, then you are creating a
> new third level.  RFC6924 created a registry of existing third levels
> but I see no template to use there.  RFC2648 created the second level
> but, reading it, it is as if the authors imagined that they were
> creating all the third level that there would ever be.  Happily, the
> authors of RFC3553 used their common sense and created a suitable
> template in order to create a new third level; I would expect these I-Ds
> to be using something very similar for a new third level.
>
> And as you create a fourth level, perf, I expect to see guidance on what
> needs to be provided for further fourth levels - or perhaps none are
> anticipated.
[acm]
If we have a unique numerical ID for each registered metric, paired
with a unique Name determined according to a carefully constructed format
with some extensibility:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry-17#section-7.1.2

what additional benefits do we gain when we create a new URN by appending
the Name to   urn:ietf:<metrics or param or ??> ?

There seems to be some overlap between a unique name in the Performance
Metrics Registry and a URN for the same Registered Metric,
and I think we should weigh the value of having both (or just the Name,
in a registry).

> I struggle with
> The registration procedures for the
>    new "perf" URN sub-namespace are Expert Review or IETF Standards
>    Action
[acm]
We believe that the Registry can be populated with metrics from
other SDOs (BBF) or organizations. Reps from BBF were very insistent
on this possibility, and we've also heard from other orgs who are
using the registry format, and may wish to make some of their
private metrics part of the public Performance Metrics Registry
someday. So, metrics and their names can come from anywhere,
and we have these two possibilities.

> The latter to me means
>       RFC publication, IETF Stream, Standards Track or BCP only.
> while the former I interpret as requiring much less.
>
> I also struggle with
>
> Abstract
>
>    This memo defines the Initial Entries for the Performance Metrics
>    Registry.  This version includes:
>
>    * removed sections which only contained examples, or a blank outine
>    for new metric entries.
>
>    * removed remaining comments (did not require action).

[acm]
Agree, this is a placeholder for something more descriptive now that we
know what metrics will be in the initial contents, and won't be taking
the shortcut of describing changes in the abstract (so it is
communicated to the working group with the I-D announcement).