A suggested additional item in IPR disclosure pages

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 26 October 2004 10:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:10:37 +0200
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: A suggested additional item in IPR disclosure pages
Sender: ipr-wg-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,
now that the web-form disclosure pages are operational, I'd like to solicit
the thoughts of people on the WG mailing list on a possible addition.

In RFC 3668 section 6.4.3, the following language occurs:

>    However, the requirement for an IPR disclosure is
>    satisfied by a blanket statement of the IPR discloser's willingness
>    to license all of its potential IPR meeting the requirements of
>    Section 6.6 (and either Section 6.1.1 or 6.1.2) to implementers of an
>    IETF specification on a royalty-free basis as long as any other terms
>    and conditions are disclosed in the IPR disclosure statement.

The term "any other terms and conditions are disclosed" seems like a nice
thing to know under any circumstance, both for generic and specific IPR
disclosures. So the suggestion came up to add a checkbox to the template,
with the following accompanying text:

> "The individual submitting this template represents and warrants that all
> other terms and conditions that must be satisfied for implementers of an
> IETF specification to obtain a license on a royalty-free basis have been
> disclosed in this IPR disclosure statement

This should go into the generic template, since 3668 explicitly says that
the IETF treats disclosures for which this is true different from
disclosures for which it is not. But I also think it would be good to put
it into the specific template - to allow people to get around the FUD
generated by someone saying "but we don't know what OTHER terms might be
imposed upon us when we ask for a license" in the case where the IPR holder
REALLY wants things to be simple.

Makes sense?