Re: Example of RFC 3978 incompatible license indraft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt

Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> Fri, 28 July 2006 20:41 UTC

From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:41:36 +0200
Cc: ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Example of RFC 3978 incompatible license indraft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt

Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> writes:

> But it doesn't restrict the right to make use of code extracts;

It does: it restricts you from using code in any way you like,
including things that are permitted by the RFC 3978 license.

If a license A require that you place no additional restrictions on a
piece of code, you cannot combine it with a license B that require
that "this document is identified in all material mentioning or
referencing this software".  Here we have A=GPL B=license below.

This is a similar problem that the IAB found with the LGPL code in
rfc3548bis.

> I personally don't see that as an incompatibility.

Technically speaking, the licenses are incompatible.  The situation is
similar to the problem with the old BSD license, see:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

> And it doesn't contain an additional copyright statement, which 3978
> specifically forbids.

No disagreement here.

/Simon