RE: Example of RFC 3978 incompatible license indraft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt

"Simon Josefsson" <jas@extundo.com> Tue, 11 July 2006 14:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:11:43 +0200
From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
To: David B Harrington <dbharrington@comcast.net>
Cc: ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Example of RFC 3978 incompatible license indraft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt

The license below appear to require acknowledgements of the source:

    provided that this document is identified in all material mentioning
or referencing this software

There is no such requirement in the release to third parties of code in
RFC 3978 3.3.a.(E), thus the above requirement places an additional
restriction on a derived work from the document.  The restriction is
similar to the one in the LGPL: you may use the code provided that you
follow certain rules that goes beyond those specified by RFC 3978.

Again, I believe clauses like this are fine -- they help get the RFC
implemented, and thus further the goal of the IETF.  But if the IAB claim
that the "GNU Public License" (sic) is incompatible with RFC 3978, then in
fairness, so should other RFC 3978 incompatible licenses be regarded.

/Simon