Re: Boilerplate text

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Fri, 01 August 2008 07:14 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:14:26 +0100
Subject: Re: Boilerplate text
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Bill Fenner <fenner@fenron.com>, ipr-wg@ietf.org
Sender: ipr-wg-bounces@ietf.org

Hi all.

Personally, I don't care about the presence/absence of "the" in this
context.

I have another issue, and that relates to citing the author's names in the
copyright statement.  At this point, we have a restriction of a maximum of
five co-authors on an I-D/RFC (there may be a few exceptions).  Assume two
documents with four co-authors are to be merged, which frequently happens in
practice.  I believe it would be fair to say that we have now eight
co-authors, jointly owning the work, and each with the right to grant rights
to the whole work (at least according to my understanding of the joint
copyright doctrine in the US).

Today's normal IETF practice would be to assign a single editor (which would
be the only person on the author's list), and mention the (other) previous
co-authors somewhere in the "contributors" list, or in an acknowledgement
paragraph, or somewhere thereabouts.

Now further assume that the editor (sole author listed on page 1) is not
willing to grant rights on his own (beyond the boilerplate rights), whereas
one of the original eight authors is perfectly willing to do so.  Does that
get us in a situation where our procedures limit the rights of that one
original co-author, as his name is not listed in the copyright statement?
If yes, is this going to be a problem in practice?

Personally, I fear the answer is "yes" to both questions.

If it is, the safest solution seems to me to remove the restriction to the
number of co-authors.  Another solution may be that the folks writing the
I-D are advised that they can put more names than just the up to five
authors listed on page 1 of an I-D/RFC into the copyright statement.  Bill's
document may be the right place to do so.

Regards,
Stephan