Further rights granted by draft-bradner-rfc-extracts-01.txt

Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> Tue, 12 July 2005 08:29 UTC

From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
To: ipr-wg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:24:00 +0200
Subject: Further rights granted by draft-bradner-rfc-extracts-01.txt
Sender: ipr-wg-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks for writing this draft.  I'll bounce the text to the FSF
lawyers.  However, my feelings are that this is not sufficient to make
it possible for me to incorporate RFCs, and consequently to implement
them, in my free software projects.  Specifically:

   c. To the extent that a Contribution or any portion thereof is
      protected by copyright and other rights of authorship, the
      Contributor, and each named co-Contributor, and the organization
      he or she represents or is sponsored by (if any) grant a
      perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, world-wide
      right and license to extract, copy, publish, display, distribute,
      and incorporate into other works, for any purpose (and not limited
      to use within the IETF Standards Process) any portion of the
      Contribution as long as the extract is not modified (other than
                   --------------------------------------
      translated into languages other than English), proper
      acknowledgement is given and as long as the ISOC copyright notice
      is included.  It also being understood that the licenses granted
      under this paragraph (c) shall not be deemed to grant any right
      under any patent, patent application or other similar intellectual
      property right.

My users require the right to be able to modify my products, and if I
incorporate parts of RFCs, I can't fulfill the needs of my customers.
I found that incorporating parts of RFCs is often required in
implementations (think ASN.1 schemas, StringPrep tables).

Further, it may be useful to clarify "proper acknowledgment".  I
dislike the acknowledgments required by the old 4 clause BSD license.

Thanks,
Simon