Re: [Ips] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ips-auth-mib-06.txt

Mark Bakke <mbakke@cisco.com> Thu, 17 February 2005 05:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:04:26 -0600
From: Mark Bakke <mbakke@cisco.com>
To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [Ips] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ips-auth-mib-06.txt
Cc: David B Harrington <dbharrington@comcast.net>, ips@ietf.org, Michael MacFaden <macfaden@gmail.com>
Sender: ips-bounces@ietf.org

Bert-

Thanks for the comments; I've addressed them below.  BTW, I just realized
that you and Michael were not explicitly copied on David Harrington's
comments and my responses, unless you are subscribed to the ips mailing
list.  I've forwarded these responses to both of you in case you did not
receive them.  I've copied David on this response as well.

Mark

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

>So this is what I get:
>
>   C:\bwijnen\smicng\work>smicng ipsauth.inc
>   E: f(ipsauth.mi2), (53,7) Leading sub-Id "mib-2" is not known in
>      current module
>   W: f(ipsauth.mi2), (5,5) "experimental" imported but not used
>   *** 1 error and 1 warning in parsing

OK; I'll fix.

>When I fix that, then it passes SYNTAX checking with SMIXng
>It also passes smilint syntax checking then.
>It also passes idnits checking.
>
>I think I would change:
>
>     ipsAuthDescriptors OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ipsAuthObjects 1 }
>
>     ipsAuthMethodTypes OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ipsAuthDescriptors 1 }
>
>   into something like:
>
>     ipsAuthDescriptors OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ipsAuthObjects 1 }
>
>     ipsAuthMethodTypes OBJECT-IDENTITY
>         STATUS         current
>         DESCRIPTION   "Registration point for iSCSI Method Types".
>         REFERENCE     "iSCSI Protocol Specification."
>     ::= { ipsAuthDescriptors 1 }
>

>   It lets you say some more about what this is.
>   Not a blocking comment though.

But an easy fix; I'll take care of it.

>I see in DESCRIPTION of ipsAuthInstIndex (which is a not-accessible index)
>that values do not need to be preserved over reboot.
>Does that also mean that ipsAuthInstDescr values do not need to be
>preserved over reboot?

The intent is that ipsAuthInstDescr is preserved across reboot.  Since
it's read-write,
but with no RowStatus, I assume I just need to add to the DESCRIPTION:

        This value must be preserved across reboots

>A similar (not need to be preserved over reboot) is present for:
>ipsAuthIdentIndex, and yet there is a StorageType object in that
>table. So what if the StorageType syas "permanent" ??
>Or what if it says "nonVolatile"?

I didn't consider that StorageType would apply to an index value; that just
slipped right by.  This would affect all of the other Index values as
well.  Any
ideas on the best way to handle this?  I need to think about this one.

>By the way, for a STorageType object you MUST specify which columns
>(or none) of the writable columns must be writable for permanent
>objects.

I assume that since the only read-write column (ipsAuthInstDescr) is not
in a table containing a RowStatus, and the all of the others are
read-create,
that there are none of these to specify.

>You also need to describe if any (writable) objects in row can
>be changed when the row is in "active" state.

Since there is no RowStatus for the table containing ipsAuthInstDescr, I
don't think the draft has any of these either.