Re: [IPsec] Last Call: <draft-kivinen-ipsecme-signature-auth-06.txt> (Signature Authentication in IKEv2) to Proposed Standard

Johannes Merkle <johannes.merkle@secunet.com> Fri, 04 July 2014 14:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 16:29:19 +0200
From: Johannes Merkle <johannes.merkle@secunet.com>
To: ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Last Call: <draft-kivinen-ipsecme-signature-auth-06.txt> (Signature Authentication in IKEv2) to Proposed Standard

Nice work, the wording is really improved. However, I still have two comments:

1. The wording in A.4 is confusing.

   With RSASSA-PSS, the algorithm object identifier is always id-RSASSA-
   PSS, but the hash function is taken from the optional parameters, and
   is required.

It is not the hash function or the optional parameters that are required but the OID id-RSASSA-PSS. Secondly, the "but"
in the second part of the sentence indicates some contrast but I don't see one. Furthermore, not only the hash function
is determined from the parameters but also the other options for the padding.

Why not changing the text to

   With RSASSA-PSS, the algorithm object identifier must always be
   id-RSASSA-PSS, and the hash function and padding parameters are
   conveyed in the optional parameters.

2. The wording in A.4.1 is also not unambiguous:

   Parameters are empty, but the ASN.1 part of the sequence must be
   there.  This means default parameters are used (same as the next
   example).

Here "next example" does not refer to the example following immediately after this paragraph but to the example in the
next section. A reference to A.4.2 should be included.

--
Johannes

The IESG wrote on 01.07.2014 18:11:

> The IESG has received a request from the IP Security Maintenance and
> Extensions WG (ipsecme) to consider the following document:
> - 'Signature Authentication in IKEv2'
>   <draft-kivinen-ipsecme-signature-auth-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by 2014-07-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
> sent to iesg@ietf.org instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> Abstract
>

>    The Internet Key Exchange Version 2 (IKEv2) protocol has limited
>    support for the Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA).
>    The current version only includes support for three Elliptic Curve
>    groups, and there is a fixed hash algorithm tied to each group.  This
>    document generalizes IKEv2 signature support to allow any signature
>    method supported by the PKIX and also adds signature hash algorithm
>    negotiation.  This is a generic mechanism, and is not limited to
>    ECDSA, but can also be used with other signature algorithms.
>

> The file can be obtained via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-signature-auth/
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-signature-auth/ballot/

> This draft updates RFC5996, however RFC5996 is in process of being updated in RFC5996-bis and will likely be published before this draft.  Each mention of RFC5996 should be replaced with the new RFC number for RFC5996-bis once a number has been assigned.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Dr. Johannes Merkle
Principal Beratung, Elektronische Identitäten
Public Sector
secunet Security Networks AG
Mergenthaler Allee 77
65760 Eschborn