Re: Wrap up for the IPsec drafts

Dan.McDonald@Eng.Sun.Com (Dan McDonald) Fri, 19 September 1997 20:43 UTC

From: Dan.McDonald@Eng.Sun.Com
Subject: Re: Wrap up for the IPsec drafts
To: rgm3@chrysler.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:52:18 -0700
Cc: ipsec@tis.com
Sender: owner-ipsec@ex.tis.com

> Ted and I want to start last call on a set of documents that the IESG will
> promote.  Our first step is to group the drafts that are related to this
> group and then finish up the key drafts.  So in this light the key drafts
> are:

> draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-01.txt		(We are waiting to see 02)

This full version is not on the ds.internic.net site.  Will 02 be?

> draft-ietf-ipsec-ipsec-doi-03.txt		(questions on readiness)

This revision, while posted to the list, isn't on the ds.internic.net site
either.

> draft-ietf-ipsec-auth-hmac-md5-96-00.txt

This revision is not on the site either.

> draft-ietf-ipsec-auth-hmac-sha196-00.txt

And while I've got this one up, lemme ask the naive question that probably
has been answered during ANX testing.

	For ESP, do I use the truncated 96-bit HMAC results to place at
	the end of my ESP datagram?  Or do I used the full result?

	In either case, both of the ipsec-auth documents need to make clear
	how the auth algorithm in question is used in AH (where 96-bit
	trunc is useful) and in ESP (where it is probably a don't-care).

Thanks,
Dan