Re: Legal claims on encryption and authentication algorithm

Sandy Harris <sandy.harris@sympatico.ca> Fri, 29 January 1999 05:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:52:55 -0500
From: Sandy Harris <sandy.harris@sympatico.ca>
To: "'ipsec@tis.com'" <ipsec@tis.com>
Subject: Re: Legal claims on encryption and authentication algorithm
Sender: owner-ipsec@ex.tis.com

"Glawitsch, Gregor" wrote:

> The DES patent is owned by IBM, but IBM has waived the license
> fee, i.e. anyone can use DES free of charge.
>
> The DES patent is **not** owned by RSA Data Security.

Correct, but he was discussing DESX.

> > In case this group has not heard, RSA Data Security has
> > clarified that there is no charge for using the DESX algorithm,
> > which is described in draft-simpson-desx-02.txt.
> >           --Bob Baldwin
> >             Technical Director
> >             RSA Data Security

DESX was invented by RSA's Rivest, if I recall correctly, so RSA
(could? do?) claim rights to it, subject I suppose to negotiation
with IBM who own DES.

--
"The real aim of current [cryptography] policy is to ensure the
 continued effectiveness of US information warfare assets against