[IPsec] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-auth-announce-09: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 11 April 2024 09:57 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-auth-announce@ietf.org, ipsecme-chairs@ietf.org, ipsec@ietf.org, kivinen@iki.fi, kivinen@iki.fi
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 02:57:09 -0700
Subject: [IPsec] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-auth-announce-09: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-auth-announce-09: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-auth-announce/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments fordraft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-auth-announce-09

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Tero Kivinen for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus and the justification of the intended status.

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Abstract

As the I-D is about authentication methods, I wonder whether `with multiple
different credentials` is the right wording, should it rather be "different
authentication methods" ? (of course with some text repetition).

## Section 3.1

`Regardless of whether the notification is received,` may be I am mis-reading
this, but why would the responder send the notification if the initiator does
not care anyway ?

## Section 3.2

While the readers may guess some details, but let's be clear in a proposed
standard I-D:

1) `Notification Data field` does not appear in figure 4
2) role of C flag and its value
3) value of Protocol ID
4) saying that reserved field must be set to 0 by sender and ignored on the
receiver

## Section 3.2.1

Let's be crisp and specify that the length is in octets.

Is there a registry for authentication method ? or should this specification be
updated for every new authentication method ?

# NITS (non-blocking / cosmetic)

## Section 1

The last sentence of the 2nd paragraph is rather long and I think that "that"
should be used in `the peer which supports wider range of`.

## Section 3.2.1

Missing closing parenthesis in the last paragraph.