Re: [IPsec] Proposed work item: EAP-only authentication in IKEv2

Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com> Tue, 01 December 2009 06:47 UTC

From: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com>
To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:47:15 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ipsec@ietf.org" <ipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Proposed work item: EAP-only authentication in IKEv2

Hello Dan,

[WG co-chair hat off]

EAP-only authentication is a small IKE extension that does not change the existing IKE architecture; neither does it change many of the extant implementations. Given the right EAP methods, it would provide us exactly what EAP was supposed to provide from day one: mutual non-PKI authentication.

And the solution is generic: any suitable EAP method can be deployed, so implementors can make their own security/interoperability/IPR/simplicity tradeoffs, instead of having one specific authentication method mandated.

To address your specific concerns:

- The case of client-to-gateway authentication happens to be one of the top use cases of IKE/IPsec. Certainly not a "small use case". I'm not saying that EAP-only auth is limited to this use case, but it certainly solves it well.

- It would depend very much on the specific product/scenario whether "both client and server state machines" need to be implemented. Specifically this is incorrect for client-to-gateway.

- EAP as you well know is a 3-party protocol, it is not necessarily terminated on the IKE peer. So it is incorrect to say that "both sides MUST possess the shared secret" - exactly the right parties will need to: the client and the authentication server.

- EAP-only auth can also be applied to scenarios where no Auth Server is deployed. However in these cases both peers would indeed need a full EAP implementation.

- The EAP community is (very slowly) coming to terms with EAP channel bindings. While this is not provided by your EAP-PWD (and I hope this is fixed before publication), EAP-EKE has been extended to add this capability.

Thanks,
	Yaron