Re: [IPsec] Last Call: <draft-kivinen-ipsecme-secure-password-framework-01.txt> (Secure Password Framework for IKEv2) to Informational RFC

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Thu, 28 July 2011 05:02 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 22:02:39 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Cc: IPsecme WG <ipsec@ietf.org>, IETF-Discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Last Call: <draft-kivinen-ipsecme-secure-password-framework-01.txt> (Secure Password Framework for IKEv2) to Informational RFC

  Paul,

  The existence of this draft shows a failure of YOUR leadership (and
that of your co-chairman) of the working group. Consensus was achieved
to add an authentication method based on a simple password yet you
seemingly worked to do everything possible to create division in the
working group and then stepped in to declare failure because no
consensus existed.

  We could've had a single standards-track solution to this problem over a
year ago if you had treated the singular draft used to argue for addition
of this work to the charter in the same way that you treated the singular
draft used to argue for addition of "EAP only" authentication to the
charter. The latter (authored by one of the chairmen) was advanced to
standards track after receiving a whopping ZERO comments from the WG and
the former was killed by the chairmen because the only comments on the
list were from authors of competing drafts (after manufacturing the
competition in the first place).

  There was hostility by the IPsecME chairmen to this work item from
the beginning and you worked to ensure its failure in the WG. Now you're
against advancement of Tero's draft to forge the best possible outcome
now? Not a surprise!

  Put that hat back on, along with a sackcloth and ashes, and say "mea
culpa".

  Dan.