[Iptel] RE: [Sipping] New draft on end system communication services

"Gunnar Hellstrom" <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Fri, 18 February 2005 16:57 UTC

From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: iptel@ietf.org, sipping@ietf.org, Xiaotao Wu <xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:23:21 +0100
Cc: Toip list <toip@snowshore.com>, "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: [Iptel] RE: [Sipping] New draft on end system communication services
Sender: iptel-bounces@ietf.org

I found this to be a good draft.

We have a general agreement in the Sipping group that there are three real time media that
must be considered in all specifications. It is video, text and audio.

In the Less specification, video and audio are mentioned, but not text.
Here are proposals for adding real time text to this specification.

I would appreciate if other authors also follow this agreement.

In section 10.1.1, there is:

Parameters:  "media"        A list of medias. Possible values are "audio",
                                and "video".

Proposal, I suggest to extend it to:

Parameters:  "media"        A list of medias. Possible values are "audio",
                                "text" and "video".

Same section 10.1.1, next parameter

                 "input"        The source of input. It can be "microphone",
                                for audio, "camera" for video, or a URL
                                to a media file.

I think this parameter may need quite a bit of extension, such as "line" as an alternative
for audio input as well as URL, "line" for video etc. I would expect that you also would
like to control output, such as headset or loudspeaker for video, screen or speech
synthesis for text etc. I leave that for further discussion, when the requirements are
more clear,
 but just request that you start with adding "keyboard" for text input.

Proposal:

                 "input"        The source of input. It can be "microphone",
                                for audio, "keyboard" for text, "camera" for video,
					  or a URL to a media file.
In section 11.1.2 text should be mentioned among the media.

11.1.2 "Midcall:merge" Action

    "Midcall:merge" actions will merge multiple calls into an end system
    hosted conference. By default, audio streams will be mixed and sent
    to all the call participants. Video streams are forwarded to all the
    call participants. If there are held or muted calls, the hold and
    mute status are kept.  Their syntax is shown in Figure 14.

Proposal:

11.1.2 "Midcall:merge" Action

    "Midcall:merge" actions will merge multiple calls into an end system
    hosted conference. By default, audio streams will be mixed and sent
    to all the call participants. Video and text streams are forwarded
    to all the call participants. If there are held or muted calls, the
    hold and mute status are kept.  Their syntax is shown in Figure 14.

Regards

Gunnar

Gunnar Hellstrom
Omnitor AB